This house is located in Teaneck, NJ. The owners have lived in this house for 30+ years. Over the years they experienced water leaks from plumbing and old gutters. The water problems have been resolved and now was the time for some interior refinishing. In the near future renovations will be taking place on the second floor. The issues with the exterior have all been taken care of. The owners wanted to keep the original details of the trim and built-ins. Houses built over 100 years ago have plenty of nice trim and built-ins. That's why these houses are unique.
I met the owners a few months ago and we discussed the color scheme for the interior. We originally picked colors with green tones. But, like many owners, they kept searching color charts. Finally after many color samples being painted on the walls, the colors switched to pale lavenders with bright white trim.
We began in the kitchen with the cabinets. The original finish was pickled white. After twenty years it was time for a change. We removed the doors and began preparing for paint. First the cabinet doors, drawer fronts and face frames were cleaned well. next came the deglossing. A chemical deglosser was used to avoid too much sanding dust. The surfaces were cleaned with a tack cloth and vacuumed.
Next the primer coat was applied and then two finish applications of semi-gloss white. Paints by Benjamin Moore.
The prime coat and finish coats were sprayed. The drawer fronts and frames were painted with a soft brush to avoid brush marks.
Before re-assembling the cabinets, the remainder of the prep work was performed on the kitchen walls. Some of the walls had been sheet rocked during a prior reno. A moderate amount of prep work was need prior to painting. Repairs were made with light weight joint compound and some fast drying spackle.
The colors for the wall was Antique Pearl, matte finish. This color has a slight lavender tint with a minimal gray tone. It does not show well in the photos. The ceiling is ultra flat white. Paints by Benjamin Moore.
The next room was the living room. A bit more challenging than the kitchen. this time prep work for days.
The walls had many large cracks and defects. All of the trim work needed to be sanded down, joint compound applied, more sanding, then second coats of compound. After the second coat all repairs were sanded again. Although the repairs were made the walls are not flat and smooth. These plaster walls are over 100 years old. There are bumps and rough areas. The only way to remove all of the defects, tear down the plaster and install sheet rock! Before painting all trim work was re-caulked for smooth transitional lines between trim and walls.
repairing plaster is messy and time consuming. The brown coat and veneer coat of plaster begin to loosen from the wooden lath. Breaking away the loose plaster is the only way to repair it.
The same color scheme was used in the living room as in the kitchen.
On to the sun room. This is a bright sunny room. The stained glass feature is a big plus. This is an original feature to the house. This room had plenty of repairs for a small room. It took four days to repair all of the plaster defects. All of the trim and book shelves were sanded. Again, all original to the house. Plaster began to fall of of the walls as we scraped. We also found painted over wallpaper which made things more difficult. The spackle used for the first coat was 45 minute set. You have to work fast with this. The finish coats were light weight compound.
The color scheme for the sun room was ultra flat ceiling white, Whisper Violet (matte finish)for the walls and bright white semi-gloss for the trim and built-ins.The radiator was also painted white.
The ceiling light may be a re-fiitted gas light. This window is a standout in this house. The stained glass and the plaster arch make a nice statement for design and workmanship.
The last room was the dinning room. We had many repairs again. Loose plaster, old trim wood work and so on. Plaster literally fell off the walls when we began scrape. A typical repair is shown below.
After removing all of the plaster, screws are place around the damaged area for re-enforcement. The following photos will show the steps involved;
Sheet rock is installed.
Then the 45 min. compound is applied.
Then the light weight compound. Ready for primer when its dry. This window is original to the house. Same colors different design.
Not shown in the photos are the interior louvered shutters. We removed them, cleaned them and painted them white. The shutters were re-installed.
All of the paint on this job was Benjamin Moore. The paint and supplies were purchased at Pete and John's Paint Market, Oakland, NJ. http://www.peteandjohnspaintmarket.com/